Wednesday, November 25, 2009
* Free Expression Painting
It's a life altering experience. You work through your creative 'process'. You learn not to worry about the end result. You PLAY, like a four year old child. When I was finally able to 'let go', I found myself in that 'magical place' of bliss. That magical place of 'no place' where time doesn't exist, your surroundings are negated, and you come back into the room from time to time, not knowing where you have been, or where the afternoon has gone. On the way there, you meet your dragons head on. There is no alternative but to face them. Caroline makes sure all the bumps in the road are tended to with respect, love, gentleness and above all, grace. Your 'artist' is very safe there. Judgment does not exist. There is no critique. No one sees or views your work unless they are invited by you to do so. As your demons emerge from the dark recesses, Caroline gently encourages you to stay with it, to just be. She poses pertinent questions. Your feelings and emotions are respected. My personal dragons, which occasionally show up in other areas of my life as well, sounded something like this .... I want out of here!!! Run away, Donna, as fast as your little legs can carry you. Quit while you're ahead girl. Don't take any risks. Be afraid, be very afraid!! You will displease someone. It won't be perfect. It won't be good enough. Why do I even try? I have absolutely no talent. Where's the Rabbit Hole - I want to jump in!!
My personal experience has been one of enabling myself to quiet my inner critic. I can now do this gently and with great respect. My critic and I have a whole new relationship. She no longer shrieks at me from front row centre. In fact, she has taken a seat at the back of the room and has become quite dignified. That in itself is very freeing.
So what is free expression painting exactly? I will share with you a list which was distributed as a handout.
Free Expression Painting is:
- The engagement in the PROCESS of creating painted imagery in which one is passionately involved but DETACHED from the outcome or 'product'.
- Dreaming in a conscious state in which you allow random images to rise up at will without editing or interpretation.
- An INTUITIVE RESPONSE to existing inner imagery.
- A way of expressing our natural inclination for 'imagistic' thinking and re-engaging 'the imagizer'.
- LUCID DREAMING - Dreaming Awake!! SPONTANEOUS daydreaming.
- AN INTUITIVE STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS in visual form.
- FREE ASSOCIATION. Free Wheeling Imagination!!
- SPONTANEOUS IMAGING. Storytelling. Expression.
- What happens when we contact the INVENTOR, the CHILD, the MAGICIAN/SORCERESS and step into the mystery of the creative moment of "I don't know".
I know you will be interested in seeing Carolines' work and knowing more about her workshops. Please visit her website at http://www.carolinejames.com/. When an opportunity comes your way to join Caroline for a workshop, by all means act on it. Your life will be enriched by the experience.